Wednesday, September 10, 2008

SF Jukebox Goes to Africa

Early tomorrow morning, Koshi and I will depart for what is guaranteed to be an adventure to a continent that neither of us have visited before: Africa. Granted, we'll be going to what is arguably the most civilized of nations on the continent, South Africa, but given the country's history and its present state, it's certainly no San Francisco (although Cape Town seems to have a lot in common with our fair city by the bay). Naturally we will seek out jukeboxes in both Johannesburg and Cape Town, but may be limited in our exploration by a variety of factors including but not limited to matters of safety. Who knows where we'll end up.

In preparation for my trip, a coworker lent me his iPhone for an hour this morning so I could listen to a compilation of South African music that he really likes, Indestructible Beat Of Soweto, Volume One [on Last.fm]. This leads me to believe I might come back with a suitcase full of CDs (remember those things?)

This compilation inspired me to search for South African music on YouTube where I very quickly learned that the 60s vocal group hit "Grazin' in the Grass" by Friends of Distinction was an instrumental track written and originally recorded by a South African musician Hugh Masekela. The song was also a hit for him.

Friends of Distinction version:



Hugh Masekela's original version:



The next post I make will be from Johannesburg! After this trip I'll just have to get to Australia, South America, and Antarctica to complete the globe.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi SF JukeBox,My name is Geneve,I am writing from sunny Johannesburg South Africa,you will be quite safe no need to worry,its not as bad as people say ,we have a beautiful and diverse country,in JHB you can take a day trip to Soweto and eat at a Shebeen this is african for "pub"it's great fun,there are many game farms in close proximity to "JOZI"ask your hotel what day trips are available.Cape Town is very much like San Francisco,its a culture rich amzingly beautiful place with awesome sidewalk cafe's and of course the MOUNTAIN,you can go up in a cable car,really worth seeing that view,hope you enjoy sunny and friendly SA,and check out the local muzik at local stores,we have great bands here.Geneve

SHUO said...

Just out of wonder,is it easy to get a visa to Africa?

Ian McKellar said...

Whoa cool! Sharon and I are in the early stages of planning a big trip that will include some time in Africa. We'd love to hear about how your trip goes!

Anonymous said...

Great blog.

王者回归 said...

my dear friend ,you blog is very good!!.welcome you to my blog!!
http://blue-office.blogspot.com

aGreatNotion said...

@geneve

We got here a few hours ago and are just settling into the hotel and stuff. Thanks for the advice!

Anonymous said...

Hey SF,just found your page by chance, but i like what I've read so far, so I'm gonna leave a comment. Secondly, Have a blast in Africa. I've never been to Africa, but Intnd to go someday. Later - Charles

studio lolo said...

I stumbled across you in "blogs of note." May I recommend a wonderful South African musician by the name of Vusi Mahlasela. His CD, "The Voice" is magical!
Have a wonderful trip!

NesAn said...

Nice Blog!!! LOL!
Visit my blogs!
Thanks!

Samuel said...

south africa is arguably one of the least civilized countries on the continent, but then again what do we americans know about civilization. try ethiopia if you're looking for an intact culture. good luck appropriating your juke boxes.

Unknown said...

hey thats dope hit me up if you in Sa can link you with some local artist i was out in San Fran in Feb spoke at the african museum and San fran and cape town got the same vibe

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish i would be at africa right now.

Anonymous said...

So I know they're not from South Africa, but there's an awesome African couple that I've been listening to a ton. They're called Amadou et Mariam and they're from Mali. They're album was produced by Manu Chao and its pretty awesome. Check it out if you get the chance.

Mrs. Tomacina Wuthrich said...

Music like blogging bring people together. Thank you for bringing music to the blogging world. Especially from another culture.

Mrs. Tomacina Wuthrich said...

Music like blogging bring people together. Thank you for bringing music to the blogging world. Especially from another culture.

david santos said...

Great work!!!
Appreciated.
Congratulations!!

Kate Taylor said...

I caught this guy live when he came down to aus- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Iq3cjMh1Q. He got me started on exploring SA music. Before that I think I could only have named rodriguez

FrancoiseIsa said...

wow! beautifull song. Thank you